Lady Passes Out, Fears Unintentional Overdose After Discovering Greenback on Floor

A girl who stopped to select up a discarded greenback invoice from the sidewalk handed out solely minutes later.

On July 10, Renee Parsons noticed the greenback invoice on the bottom outdoors of a McDonald’s on Freeway 70, Tennessee, and picked it up. Nearly instantly, her speech started to slur and he or she felt numb, earlier than finally dropping consciousness.

“I could not even breathe. It is virtually like a burning sensation, if you’ll, that begins right here at your shoulders, after which it simply goes down as a result of it is virtually prefer it’s numbing your total physique,” Parsons instructed WKRN.

Inventory picture of a one greenback invoice on the bottom. Renee Parsons needed to be taken to hospital, dropping consciousness after selecting up a greenback invoice at a pitstop.
iStock / Getty Photos Plus

Parsons grabbed the arm of her husband, Justin Parsons, with the identical hand that she had picked up the cash with as he drove her to the hospital. Unusually, quickly afterwards, her husband additionally started to expertise related signs.

“My lips began going numb and my arm broke out in a rash,” Justin instructed WKRN.

His unintended effects light after round an hour, whereas it took about 4 hours for Renee to really feel regular once more.

“She appeared like she was dying. She definitely was unconscious and really pale,” he stated.

Renee was finally launched from the hospital with the incident filed as an unintended overdose.

The household concern that the greenback invoice might have been coated in fentanyl or one thing related, nevertheless their toxicology report did not check for artificial medicine. They’re involved that one thing related might happen sooner or later with a baby, who might not have the ability to recuperate from their overdose in the identical method that absolutely grown adults can.

Whereas the responding police officer instructed the household that the greenback might have been used to chop medicine, a spokesperson for Metro Nashville Police instructed WKRN that there hadn’t been any grains noticed on the greenback earlier than it was destroyed.

Consultants say that you just can not overdose from a drug like fentanyl simply by touching it: it has to enter your bloodstream first.

In response to an identical case from 2017, when a police officer wiped some white powder off his uniform earlier than dropping consciousness, Lewis S. Nelson, director of the Division of Medical Toxicology at Rutgers New Jersey Medical Faculty, stated that it’s almost unimaginable to overdose on fentanyl on this method.

“With a really massive dermal publicity (which didn’t happen) for a protracted time (didn’t happen) it’s conceivable that one might be uncovered to a major quantity of fentanyl,” Nelson instructed Reuters. “However even the pharmaceutical fentanyl patch, which is formulated for such absorption, takes 12-16 hours earlier than a major blood fentanyl focus is reached.”

He stated that somewhat than being a results of a fentanyl overdose, the mysterious reactions might actually be psychological.

“The entire findings that we see on this, and different movies, are inconsistent with fentanyl poisoning and are absolutely according to a stress/anxiousness response.”

Nevertheless, within the case of the Parsons, they didn’t report seeing something on the greenback invoice that will have triggered an anxiety-driven psychological response, sometimes called a “nocebo”.

Regardless, Nick Weems, the Perry County Sheriff, warned in June that there had been three circumstances of cash discovered with fentanyl inside it within the earlier month, and urged kids to not decide up cash mendacity on the bottom.

“I’ve heard you can and you’ll’t [overdose from touching fentanyl], however I do not need to take that probability. Particularly, I do not need to take that probability with our kids in our group,” he instructed WKRN.

Replace 7/12/22, 3:40 p.m. ET: The headline of this story was up to date for readability.